Finding Screen-Life Balance in Generation Hashtag
MY TOP 5 LOVE-HATE RELATIONSHIP ISSUES WITH SOCIAL MEDIA:
LOVE-HATE RELATIONSHIP ISSUE #1:
Turkle states, "We expect more from technology and less from each other. Technology appeals to us most where we are most vulnerable. We are vulnerable. We're lonely, but we're afraid of intimacy. And so from social networks to sociable robots, we are designing technology that will give us the illusion of companionship without the demands of friendship. We turn to technology to help us feel connected in ways we can comfortably control."Turkle mentions "sociable robots," which is a topic unto itself as far as whether these invented machines are going to be an asset or detriment to humanity. It was while asking someone my third question, "What do you think the world will be like 50 years from now?" that I learned of the term singularity.
A research engineer said, "Some people think in the near future computers will be as, or more, intelligent than humans. That they may take over the world. It'll be like a holiday [vacation] for everyone. Or, like The Terminator."And if you want to see something that will really give you the heebie-jeebies about the future of socialized robots, see this clip from CNBC aptly titled, "Could you fall in love with a robot?" The lead designer of human-like robot Sophia talks with her conversationally, and speaks of a future in just 20 years where these robots will be walking among us, and "truly be our friends." I watch a clip like this and am baffled to believe that we live in this incredible, interconnected world full of amazing humans to connect with, yet people feel the need to build a robot to be their "friend."
LOVE-HATE RELATIONSHIP ISSUE #2:
- ■ Facebook's over 1.4 billion active monthly users send an average of 31.25 million messages per minute.
- ■ Twitter's 288 million active monthly users tweet an average of almost 350,000 tweets per minute.
- ■ Over 30 billion photos have been shared on Instagram since it was founded just five years ago.
- ■ YouTube's over one billion users upload an average of 300 hours of video every minute.
LOVE-HATE RELATIONSHIP ISSUE #3:
"Just because you get a hashtag doesn't mean you won the battle. Just because you tweeted something doesn't mean you are done with the work. You now have to find the solution."There is definitely a positive effect from the use of social media platforms to mobilize energy and support around an area of concern. As the event speaker pointed out, however, these are complicated issues and calling attention to them is only step one.
LOVE-HATE RELATIONSHIP ISSUE #4:
LOVE-HATE RELATIONSHIP ISSUE #5:
- ■ They didn't take 10 minutes once the meal arrived to capture the perfect angle of the food.
- ■ The only device used was a fork and knife, not a cell phone which seems to always be next to the silverware line up of today.
- ■ They didn't check their phone every time it buzzed, beeped or rang.
- ■ They actually looked you in the eye and had a full conversation without glancing at their phone.
And don't forget to ANSWER THE BSW 3 QUESTIONS!!!